Quality Improvement Opportunity for VFC Providers
The Immunization Quality Improvement for Providers (IQIP) Program is a CDC initiative to help providers implement strategies that support their immunization activities.
VFC-enrolled practices are chosen by the CDC for IQIP enrollment each year. However, starting this project year (July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024), VFC-enrolled practices may self-enroll in IQIP.
Practices that do not have pediatric patients capitated to them (e.g., shelter sites, sexual health clinics, and birthing hospitals) are not eligible to participate.
Why self-enroll in IQIP?
IQIP helps practices meet their goals of efficient and effective vaccination processes to ensure timely and complete vaccine coverage for all children.
How can IQIP participation serve pediatric departments and physicians?
- IQIP efforts can be converted to group quality improvement (QI) projects, which can be eligible to fulfill the American Board of Pediatrics maintenance of certification (MOC) Part 4 requirements
- IQIP can help residency programs develop QI projects and educational opportunities
- Through IQIP, departments can meet national immunization quality metrics
What does IQIP offer?
Provider Quality Assurance (PQA) nurses through the Philadelphia Department of Health (PDPH) Immunization Program, in partnership with the CDC, offer guidance, practical recommendations, and technical support to practices aiming to increase their vaccination coverage rates.
The focus of IQIP is based on four CDC core strategies:
1. Facilitate patient return for vaccination
2. Leverage Immunization Information Systems (IIS) functionality to improve immunization practice.
3. Give a strong vaccine recommendation
4. Strengthen vaccination communications
Get in touch!
To enroll your practice in IQIP, contact your VFC Program PQA nurse Beth Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org, Dom Shannon at email@example.com, or Jennifer Malins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on how IQIP can serve pediatric departments and physicians, please contact our newly onboarded Immunization Program Medical Specialist, Dr. Mayssa Abuali, at email@example.com.
Learn more about IQIP!