VFAAR Flu Vaccine Available for All Adults for the 2022-2023 Season
On October 15, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a special allowance for Vaccines for Adults at Risk (VFAAR) flu administration. VFAAR flu vaccine can be administered to all adults regardless of insurance status during the 2022-2023 flu season.Contrary to our default policy of allowing only the truly uninsured to receive VFAAR flu doses, the CDC is making an exception to the screening requirement for flu only.
Why is VFAAR flu vaccine available to everyone?
The intent of removing the eligibility requirements for these federally funded doses is to ensure that everyone has access to flu vaccine. However, as providers, we ask you to follow the ordering algorithm below to ensure that throughout the flu season, you continue to have doses on hand for all your patients – especially the uninsured:
- Use your existing privately purchased vaccine to vaccinate insured individuals.
- Order a supply of VFAAR vaccines to vaccinate uninsured patients.
- Do not miss opportunities. Vaccinate your patients with the most appropriate supply you have in stock.
Which supply of vaccine should I use?
- Continue to vaccinate uninsured adults with flu from your VFAAR vaccine supply. As reminder, you cannot withhold a dose of VFAAR flu vaccine because a patient is unable to pay the administration fee.
- Continue to vaccinate insured adults with flu from your privately purchased flu supply. However, if private doses are not available (because you’re waiting for your shipment or your supply is depleted), do not miss an opportunity; remember everyone is eligible to receive a dose from the VFAAR supply. And the VFAAR vaccines you use on private patients do not have to be replaced.
- Do not charge anyone’s insurance for the cost of the VFAAR flu doses. This is considered fraud and could affect your ability to receive VFAAR doses going forward. You can charge patients’ insurance an administration fee for doses of VFAAR flu that are administered to insured patients.
- Use the flowchart below to assist you with identifying the correct supply:
Remember to order VFAAR flu vaccine as needed throughout the 2022-2023 flu season. If you have any questions about your VFAAR supply contact Kenya Mack at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Visit our Flu Page on our website for more information on what vaccines are available and to gain access to flu resources and free print materials. Thank for your helping to keep Philadelphia safe from the flu!