COVID-19 Vaccine Returns
Unopened vaccines should be returned when:
- The manufacturer expiration date has passed.
- The vaccines are no longer viable due to out-of-range temperatures.
- The vaccine has passed its beyond-use-date (BUD).
When returning COVID-19 vaccines that have passed their beyond-use-date,
remember to select Other as the return reason and include “Past BUD [insert the
BUD date]” in the comments section.*
Process a return for expired or non-viable vaccines in PhilaVax. Use this guide to assist you in the return process.
*New BUD labels are available for order. View this recent advisory for the ordering page and BUD label instructions.
When to waste vaccine:
- Opened non-viable vaccines should be wasted out of inventory in
PhilaVax. Use this guide to assist you in the wastage process.
- Wasted vaccines include:
- Open multi-dose vials where not all doses have been administered.
- Broken vials/syringes.
- Vaccine drawn up into a syringe but not administered.